Is Impressionism lazy art?

Just a place to hang out
IsabellaShores
Site Admin
Zodiac: Aries

Is Impressionism lazy art?

Post by IsabellaShores » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:10 pm

A question someone asked me the other day. Is Impressionism just lazy art?

Of course this person was not a painter or I feel the question would have been moot.

What would you have answered?
------------------
Isabella Shores, FRSA
O.A.M. Founder (aka The Big Cheese)

Ludwig-Keck
Editor

Re: Is Impressionism lazy art?

Post by Ludwig-Keck » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Those few, well-placed brush strokes are more effective in invoking the feelings the artist's means to convey. They may take a lot longer to complete than a thoughtless, realistic rendering. Think of the many quotes about "If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter".

IsabellaShores
Site Admin

Post by IsabellaShores » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:32 am

That is how I feel also but this person seemed to think that 'just splashing on some colour is not art'

They did not seem to realise that the 'splashing on some colour' to actually create an impression of a thing, a thing that the brain actually fills in the blanks on, is a skilled undertaking.
------------------
Isabella Shores, FRSA

Ludwig-Keck
Editor

Post by Ludwig-Keck » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:34 am

"Just splashing on some colour is not art" - I fully agree. The "inoperative" word here is "just". Our friend might see the creative act as easy, even random. Any fine master of a craft will make the execution looks easy, almost automatic. You can see this in sports, in cooking, maybe in our friends craft as well.

Yet, there is also the "language" problem. We all see art differently. The message that I read may be totally different from what someone standing next to me experiences. What is art to one maybe "just" decoration to another. I have a story about that ... [paste link to article here]

Roseann
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Roseann » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Yes, I'm sure Monet, Cassatt, Degas, Renoir, Van Gogh were just lazy. Wow.

Some people just don't get it. I will admit, I've seen some abstract art that I don't get. I've also seen some that I view as not being much effort. But that is *my opinion.* That doesn't make it a fact.

When I'm asked, I simply reply, "I don't care for it. It's not my taste." Then I share what I do like.

IsabellaShores
Site Admin

Post by IsabellaShores » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:29 pm

You do not like it?
------------------
Isabella Shores, FRSA

Roseann
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Roseann » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:41 pm

Impressionism? Yes, I do. The first line in my post is sarcasm. :-)

Oh! Okay. I see. My last line was in reference to abstract art. But it's my perspective on all art. Although I like most styles of art, some doesn't appeal to me at all. But instead of saying the artist was lazy or it sucks, I just say it's not to my taste. Or I don't care for it.

Does that make any sense? LOL

KeppenArt
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by KeppenArt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 pm

I know this sounds silly but I don't like Impressionism very much because it reminds me of what the world looked like when I was a child before I got glasses. It has nothing to do with how easy or hard it is to create. I was nearsighted and when I was around 8 yrs. old I got glasses. The world around me was all of a sudden in focus!

I do like abstract. But then there are things like a tiny Yes on the ceiling that you had to climb a ladder to see by Yoko Ono. Please! None of us would ever have gotten away with that!

Ludwig-Keck
Editor

Post by Ludwig-Keck » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:49 am

Life experiences do affect our outlook. We can't all like the same things. Someone once defined good art as something you would not mind seeing every day on the wall opposite your place at the breakfast table. All art is personal, for the artist as well the viewer. As an engineering student I would take breaks from the intense class work and walk across the street to the Cleveland Museum of Art. The Flemish section is where I usually wound up staring at the restful, peaceful paintings with their marvelous use of light. I still try to capture that light in my photography. The impressionists also made a deep impression, pardon the word. The emphasis on form, light, and color with just hinting at the detail, taught me to separate and emphasize the important aspects of images. We are creatures of our experiences, we need not apologize for our likes and dislikes, we are all unique.

bposnerimages
Editor
Zodiac: Cancer

Post by bposnerimages » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:47 pm

It depends who you are trying to impress
I never judge the motivation of art, I take it as it is, I either enjoy it or not.